Hello! I am a Postdoctoral Fellow working in the Osmanbeyoglu Lab at the University of Pittsburgh Department of Biomedical Informatics and UPMC Hillman Cancer Center. Before that, I earned my Ph.D. in Mathematics at RPI, and my dissertation was on the use of nonconvex regularizers for low rank and sparse models in machine learning/data science.
My current work is focused on computationally modeling gene regulatory networks and transcriptional programs using machine learning approaches on multi-omic data, and applying the methods I develop to study gene and transcription factor dysregulation in cancer.
I also work on low-rank and sparse models for machine learning and data science. I am actively developing and maintaining a python package, SpaLoR, with the goal of making state of the art methods that are studied in the machine learning and optimization research community more widely available to data science practitioners.
- Ph.D. in Mathematics, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, May 2021
- M.S. in Applied Mathematics, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 2019
- B.S. in Applied Mathematics with a Minor in Physics, Rochester Institute of Technology, 2016
- Low-Rank Factorization for Rank Minimization with Nonconvex Regularizers
April Sagan and John E Mitchell. Computational Optimization and Applications volume 79, pages 273–300 (2021)
- Two Relaxation Methods for Rank Minimization Problems
April Sagan, Xin Shen & John E. Mitchell. Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications 186, pages 806–825 (2020)
- ECHO: an Application for Detection and Analysis of Oscillators Identifies Metabolic Regulation on Genome-Wide Circadian Output
Hannah De Los Santos, Emily J Collins, Catherine Mann, April Sagan, Meaghan Jankowski, Kristin Bennett, and Jennifer Hurley. Bioinformatics (Oxford, England). 10.1093/bioinformatics/btz617. (2019)
- Decentralized Low-Rank State Estimation for Power Distribution Systems
April Sagan, Yajing Lui, and Andrey Bernstein. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid (2021)
- Matrix Completion Using Alternating Minimization for Distribution System State Estimation
Yajing Liu , April Sagan, Andrey Bernstein, Rui Yang, Xinyang Zhou, and Yingchen Zhang. IEEE International Conference on Communications, Control, and Computing Technologies for Smart Grids (2020)